When I was a girl, my mother always made a two cakes for Easter – coconut and strawberry. The strawberry was my older brother’s favorite, but everyone loved it and he had to fight the rest of us to get more than one piece. Recently, my office had a “Cupcake Wars” contest. In trying to decide what to enter, I wanted to do something besides chocolate. Looking through my cookbook, I came upon this old favorite. Although I used a regular cupcake tin to bake the cupcakes for the contest, for the solar oven, I used little miniature bundt pans (didn’t have enough little bundt pans and solar time to bake all I needed for the contest this way.) Either way this recipe is a winner. And I brought home the Cupcake Queen crown to prove it.
Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Filling
- 1 box yellow or strawberry cake mix
- 1 (3oz) box strawberry jello
- 2/3 pkg frozen strawberries, thawed (crushed, with syrup)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cups oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
Pre-heat solar oven while mixing the ingredients.
Mix all ingredients and beat for 3-4 minutes until well mixed. Pour into a greased and floured pan. Bake in heated solar oven for about 1 1/2 – 2 hours or until done. Cool a few minutes before frosting.
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup (remainder of pkg) frozen strawberries
- 1 box (1 pound) powdered sugar
Mix thoroughly and pour on top of cooled cake.
This cake is very rich and moist and doesn’t need much frosting.